Page 2 of 2
Recurrence is common after a first episode of back pain. In one survey, over a one-year period following treatment only 21% of patients had no back pain; over four years, less than half were symptom-free. Researchers attempted to identify factors most likely to predict an elevated risk for recurrent pain and only found one * depression * that was a significant factor in the majority of those who had not recovered.
Tips to tackle severe sudden onset back pain
- Rest -specifically recommended for backaches due to disc herniation:-Lying down on back with legs folded at knee joint and keeping 3-4 pillows below both legs helps significantly.
- Visit a physician immediately and take proper medications.
P.S: Most experts’ recommend staying in bed no longer than a couple of days with pain due to herniated disc. People who stay in bed a week or longer do even worse. Long-term bed rest results in loss of muscle tone and bone strength, increases susceptibility to blood clots, and causes depression and lethargy. Traction probably has no benefit and may be harmful.
How Is Low Back Pain or Sciatica Prevented?
Incorporation of Correct habits, Proper diet, Exercise and Sleeping patterns, plus managing stresses in day-to-day life and proper way of medications are the key factors for Prevention & control.
Exercise: Low-impact aerobic exercises, such as swimming, bicycling, and walking, can strengthen muscles in the abdomen and back without over-straining the back. Some experts also think that exercise helps pump fluid into dehydrated discs, helping to heal them. Exercises called lumbar extension strength training are proving to be effective.
HOMOEOPATHY IN BACK PAIN
The Homoeopath regards any disease as a disturbance of the Vital Force (whole being). This disturbed Vital force causes disturbances at the energy level, which in turn causes disturbances at the mind and the body level. And when human being can’t cope-up with these disturbances at mind and the body level then the disease starts. So for homoeopath disease is not just sum of few symptoms (Diagnosis only For e.g. Sciatica, Low backache Etc), but the disturbances at energy level, disturbances at the mind (Which includes feelings, fears, thoughts, perceptions and reactions to all these) and body level (Which includes sleep, desires and aversions, appetite, thirst, thermal modalities and symptoms related to each systems).
Here it differs from conventional (Modern) medicine. Modern medicine looks at the physical disease (Diagnosis) and homoeopathy looks at the whole disturbed phenomena at the mind body and the energy level. We don’t treat the back pain only but we treat the whole individuals.
Main aim in homoeopathic treatment is not treating the disease only but also to bring the harmony between mind and body. Homoeopathy helps patients to increase his own healing powers, so that his body can take care of his problems (treat the diagnosis). In this way he is not treating the Back Pain only but treating the whole individual, helping body to heal itself. Whatever is the type of back pain; if he understands the whole patient in this way he can cure the back pain. Along with improvement in back symptoms, at mind level Patient becomes aware of his thoughts, fears, feelings, his perceptions (Delusion) and the reaction associated with all this. At body level, he becomes free of the disease as well as his sleep, appetite, thirst improves. He becomes aware of the sensation and reaction associated with it, which are deeper than the mind and body. Awareness of this sensation brings awareness of all one’s movements, impulses, thoughts, feelings etc.
By treating the back pain with homoeopathy we helps body to heal itself in nature’s way.
Yoga and Back pain:
It is now well proved fact that Yoga is a total therapy of personality-physical, mental, intellectual & spiritual-, which operates & treats the total man. Experiences achieved in yogic techniques creates internal environment (Balance state of mind), which in turn helps in establishing healthy routines, right habits, a change in values & priorities, a change in motivation & a change in attitudes. Once the internal harmony called homeostasis is established, with right living & right thinking, freedom from disease comes as a by- product of an enriched way of living.
Yoga is the best way to prevent and control back pains as it gives multi- faceted benefits as follow: -
- Yogic asana like Surya-Namaskara, Bhujangasana, Hastapadasana, Paschimotanasana, Vakrasana and others not only increases flexibility, mobility, and endurance but also gradually strengthens the muscles of back, abdomen, hips thigh and entire body.
- Meditation and pranayamas helps managing stress level.
- Proves to be Attitude managing -increases adaptability and flexibility, giving insight, awareness and understanding of the various phenomenon happening inside as well as in out side world, all these finally contributing to wards lesser and lesser stress and higher and higher understanding of life and inner being.
Please note: - People vulnerable to back pain should avoid activities that put undue stress on the lower back or require sudden movements, such as football, rowing, ballet, and weight lifting, leg lifts done in a prone (face-down) position, straight leg sit-ups, and leg curls using exercise equipment. Jogging is usually not recommended, at least not until the pain is gone and muscles are stronger.. If any discomfort is experienced, stop and check with a physician.
Life Is About Choices.... You Can:
- Continue to ignore your symptoms, and experience a slow increase in discomfort, which will correspond to a decrease in your overall health.
- Treat your symptoms with the latest drugs or painkillers and, creating short-term relief and long-term damage to the rest of your body.
- Listen to your body, and begin applying a holistic approach to wellness. Treat the whole being, not just the symptoms.
So choice is yours……….